THE AYURVEDIC APPROACH TO STRESS MANAGEMENT
We are living in a society in which worries, stress and strain are too rich. Worries about security, economic difficulties, and emotions are becoming more common and will negatively impact health and longevity. The term “stress” is difficult to define and may mean different things to different people in different circumstances. When we are stressed, our bodies may show physical signs of tension. Sometimes irritation, anger, nervousness or sadness can be a clue you are feeling stressed. You may have difficulty concentrating or feel like you can’t stop worrying about something.
It is well accepted that stress is the greatest threat to the well being of people. Stress weakens the immune system. As the strength of the host diminishes, the ability of microorganisms to penetrate bodily defenses increases. Stress plays a role in the onset of just about every disease people face, from the common cold to heart disease. Too much stress can be quite harmful, and can compromise our health physically, mentally, and emotionally. Ayurveda offers a beautiful perspective on stress management.
The ancient Ayurveda practice of massage with oil (called Abhyanga) calms the nervous system, lubricates and rejuvenates the tissues, and promotes healthy circulation throughout the body. Abhyanga is a profound practice of rejuvenation. In addition, the oil itself forms a protective sheath around the body that can help to buffer the nervous system against stress. Ayurveda helps a person come to a better understanding of themselves and their relationship to the world around them. By adopting a healthy lifestyle, Ayurveda helps people reduce stress. By reducing stress, each person can attain optimum health and peace of mind.
The treatment of Ayurveda, which also includes Panchakarma, basically indents to detoxify the body, reduce stress and enhance the immunity of the body. Ayurveda therapies work on both the physical and psychological levels to relax and ease pain, stiffness, soothing muscles, boost circulation and alleviate stress.
Gamak Wellness Center
ABHAYANGA (AYURVEDA WHOLE BODY MASSAGE)
Abhyanga is also known as Ayurvedic Oil Massage. In this therapy, massage with herbal oil, appropriate for a person’s doshic state rejuvenates, softens and strengthens the skin, providing deep nourishment to the tissues. It helps to strength and resilience to the body and limbs, provides vigor to the dhatus (tissues) of the body, increases circulation and pacifies the doshas.
Benefits of Abhyanga (Ayurveda Massage)
- Calms nerves and promotes deeper and better sleep
- Eliminates body impurities and helps in reducing weight
- Softens and smoothes skin, reduces effects of ageing
- Improves blood circulation and stimulates internal organs
- Relaxes the tense muscles and loosens the stiff joints
- Improves complexion of the skin
- Detoxifies the body
SHIRODHARA (THIRD EYE THERAPY)
Shirodhara is a unique form of ancient therapy of pouring oil on the forehead from a specific height and for a specific period continuously and uniformly in a rhythm allowing the oil to run through the scalp and into the hair in a rhythmic manner which invigorate your mind and body leading to a deep tranquil effect. The procedure is done for at least 45 min. This results in a fantastic sense of deep relaxation and inner peace. It works on the cerebral system, helps in relaxing the nervous system and balancing the Prana Vayu around the head.
Benefits of Shirodhara
- Generates a profound state of relaxation, and brings balance and harmony to body, mind, and spirit.
- Relieves anxiety, depression, insomnia, stress, fatigue, negative emotions, and mood swings.
- Balances your mind by increasing concentration, productivity, and clarity
- Prevents hair loss and damage by nourishing hair follicles, roots and scalp
- Calms down mental irritation & provide sound sleep
SHIROABHYANGA (AYURVEDIC HEAD MASSAGE)
Ayurvedic head massage focuses on the shoulders, neck, face and head, the areas most vulnerable to stress and tension. The head massage induces a state of calm, peace and tranquility and promotes high levels of alertness and concentration. During the Ayurvedic Head Massage, Ayurvedic oil will be kept for a suitable period on the head of an individual.
Benefits of Abhyanga (Ayurveda Massage)
- A wonderful and beneficial programmed for de-stressing the whole body
- Increase the flow of cerebra-spinal fluids, thus strengthening the nervous system
- Helpful against eyestrain, tinnitus, jaw ache and sinusitis, stimulates lymphatic drainage and aids sleep
- It helps to remove the toxins and other side effects caused by the use of dyes, etc.
- Nourishes hair roots, prevents hair loss and premature greying
- Dispersion of toxins from tense and knotted muscles, improvement of blood circulation
AYURVEDIC FOOT MASSAGE (PADA ABHYANGA)
Ayurveda foot care treatment applies herbal oil on all the marma points of the feet. By stimulating the foot marma points, connections are made at the subtlest level of the nervous system for release of emotional stress.
Benefit of Pada Abhyanga
- Relaxes tired feet and legs – particularly for those with a lifestyle that tires the feet.
- Relaxes and soothes nerves and revitalizes the central nervous system
- Allays the tired feeling of restlessness experienced in the foot
- Improves your circulation, which addresses the numbness in the feet.
- Relieves stiffness, dryness, and numbness of the leg and foot.
- Promotes healthy eyesight and hearing senses.
- Reduces stress, depression, and anxiety
- Relieves foot pain improves muscle tone and prevents dryness of the skin
- Promotes restful sleep and cures several sleep disorders including insomnia
DEEP TISSUE ABHAYANGA
Mardana is the Sanskrit name given in Ayurveda for the deep tissue massages.
In total 108 Marma points (Vital energy points) are given in Ayurveda as guidelines and used in various massages to revitalize the body, mind and consciousness. Our trained therapists stimulate these vital energy points with the help of fingers, knuckles, forearms, elbows etc. to give the right kind of pressure needed to stimulate these points.
Going further the right blend of Ayurvedic herbal oils percolating inside every layer of skin enhances the effect and enables us to get the desired effects of:
- Relaxing muscle tension
- Dissolve knots in the body due to accumulation of lactic acid
- Enable lymphatic drainage
- Weight and inch loss
- Invigoration and thus rejuvenating the body and mind.